Get Volunteering

Fancy getting involved in motorsport? Fancy getting close to the action?

If so please register you interest by clicking here and a member of the committee will be in touch as soon as possible.

Carry on reading to find out more on the different aspects of volunteering.

No volunteers, no motorsport!

All motorsport events, from Formula 1 grands prix to club-level Hill Climbs, need volunteers to help run them safely and effectively. From pits and paddock to trackside, they e do everything from essential administrative work to providing life-saving safety cover.


Almost all motor sport events need volunteer marshals (recognisable from their orange overalls) to make sure they are run safely and effectively. Marshalling is a rewarding way of getting more closely involved with motor sport and joining a community of like-minded enthusiasts; general duties range from displaying flag signals to drivers and clearing debris to helping extract drivers and cars that have crashed or broken down.


A Scrutineer’s job is to check that competing vehicles comply with the relevant technical regulations, which help to ensure safety and fair play. While experience in engineering or a similar technical field it usually an advantage, it is not essential.

The process for obtaining a Trainee Scrutineer licence is free and simple; complete the MSA’s New Officials Registration form and return it by post to the MSA Licensing Department. You will need to tick the relevant box or boxes depending on whether you want to be a Car, Kart or Environmental Trainee Scrutineer and you can apply to be all three if you wish.

You’ll then be sent a Trainee Licence and an introductory pack, with a Training Module and DVD.

Rescuing and Recovering

MSA-licensed Rescue personnel provide immediate medical and extrication facilities at the scene of an incident. They move around venues aboard MSA licensed Rescue Units, which are kitted out with the latest medical and extrication equipment.

Meanwhile Recovery personnel retrieve stricken rally cars, operating from MSA-licensed Recovery Units fitted with vehicle recovery equipment.

To obtain a Trainee licence you will first need to gain the support of a current MSA-licensed unit and then complete the MSA’s New Officials Registration form, which must be returned to the MSA Licensing Department with a supporting letter from the unit operator.

You will then be sent your Trainee Licence and the relevant Training Module.


Timekeeping is an essential element of most motor sport events, with the timekeeper’s role being to record competitors’ times and positions in order to determine the event results.

The tools used range from simple hand-held stopwatches to complex electronic timing systems that can accurately measure to the nearest thousandth of a second.

To acquire a Trainee Timekeeper licence you simply need to complete the MSA’s New Officials Registration form and return it by post to the MSA Licensing Department, having ticked the Timekeeper Trainee box.

You will then be sent a Trainee Licence and an introductory pack with the Training Module.

Seminars and Training Days

Attendance at Training Days and Seminars is an integral part of being a motor sport official. All training days can be found here

Minimum Requirements

In general terms, there are none. Volunteers are welcome at any age, although the duties of young people may be limited in certain situations. Those aged between their 11th and 16th birthdays qualify as cadet marshals and though are unable to perform trackside duties can get involved in a host of other interesting roles.

Motor Sport offers ‘equal opportunities’ at all levels, although there are a few legal exemptions, including certain competitor disabilities and minimum ages for both competing and officiating.

If you already have special skills – technical, mechanical, rescue, vehicle recovery, medical, first aid or administration; you may wish to use them as a volunteer in motor sport.

Equipment Needed

Warm clothing is essential, a good waterproof jacket, waterproof trousers plus appropriate footwear (metal toe capped type is recommended) with thermal socks (in winter). Gloves are also advisable for both warmth and protection.

  • A Ski hat or similar headwear to provide warmth.
  • A whistle, to be blown when cars are approaching.
  • A flask with something warm inside to keep you going.
  • Energy food, anything with glucose or as from personal experience Flapjacks.